Conveniently located to serve the areas of Rockwall, Plano, Heath and Dallas TX
Our sexual health is just as important as any other aspect of our well-being. However, it’s a topic that many of us are reluctant to approach in the doctor’s office due to embarrassment. If we are experiencing pain, discomfort, dissatisfaction, or distress, it’s essential to our wellbeing to receive the necessary treatment.
Sexual health is most often associated with intercourse and any medical concerns that affect one’s ability to enjoy intimacy. Women’s sexual health includes support and treatment for issues that arise due to aging, pregnancy, stress, and other circumstances unique to the patient. For men, sexual health may encompass treatment for erectile dysfunction, sensation enhancement, and improving sexual satisfaction for the patient and his partner.
At The Retreat Restorative & Aesthetics, we use a holistic approach to sexual health to provide you with the emotional and physical support that you need. Dr. Joshua Baker specializes in surgical and non-surgical, minimally invasive treatments for men and women. Serving Rockwall, Heath, Dallas, Plano, and the nearby areas of Texas, leading cosmetic surgeon Dr. Joshua Baker welcomes patients to discuss their needs at a personal sexual wellness consultation. Call (469) 769-7101 or fill out an inquiry form to book.
- 1 About Sexual Health
- 2 Women’s Sexual Health
- 3 Vaginal Rejuvenation
- 4 Sexual Health Shots
- 5 Candidates
- 6 Personal Consultation
- 7 Cost of Sexual Health Treatments in Rockwall, TX
- 8 FAQ
- 9 References
About Sexual Health
Sexual health goes beyond intercourse. Treatments address medical issues that affect a person’s well-being, self-esteem, and relationships. First defined by the World Health Organization in 1975, sexual health as a concept has evolved considerably. Namely, physicians have grown to recognize that it is a vital indicator of overall health. (1)
Important Areas of Sexual Health
- Reproductive Health
- Intimacy and Relationships
- Sexual Dysfunction
- Pregnancy and Post-Pregnancy
- Hormone Levels
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases
- Consent and Bodily Autonomy
Defining Sexual Health
Access to sexual wellness treatments has greatly improved over the years. However, there are still areas that need further work, particularly regarding women’s access to treatment. At The Retreat, we strive to break down social norms and end the taboo of talking about your sexual health with your healthcare provider. We also provide a long list of sexual wellness services to help patients achieve improved quality of life and the intimate moments they deserve.
“Sexual health is a state of physical, emotional, mental, and social well-being in relation to sexuality; it is not merely the absence of disease, dysfunction, or infirmity. [It] requires a positive and respectful approach to sexuality and sexual relationships, as well as the possibility of having pleasurable and safe sexual experiences…” (2)
—World Health Organization Definition of Sexual Health, 2006
Women’s Sexual Health
A lack of information and misconceptions about sexual health can impact women’s lives significantly. In the United States, and in many other Western societies, discussing intimate health details still has something of a social stigma. Thankfully, attitudes are slowly changing and more and more patients are putting themselves, and their health, first. Post-partum body changes, genitourinary syndrome of menopause (GSM), and hypoactive sexual desire disorder are just three examples of the things that can adversely affect a woman’s sexual health.
Common Women’s Health Issues
- Pain During Intercourse (Dyspareunia)
- Vaginal Dryness (GSM)
- Loss of Interest in Sex
- Difficulties with Arousal
- Urinary and Fecal Incontinence
- Hormone Depletion
- Vaginal Atrophy
- Vaginal Laxity
Sexual Health and Childbirth
An estimated 89% of women resume sexual activity within 6 months of giving birth. However, some 68% of postpartum women experience sexual dysfunction in this timespan. A further 38% state that their sexual experiences had not reached prepregnancy levels. (3) There is no question that pregnancy and vaginal birth causes significant changes to the body. But women who have been through pregnancy should be aware of treatments that can help. Pelvic floor stimulation, vaginal toning, and tailored Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) shots can alleviate discomfort and increase body confidence, allowing patients to enjoy intimate moments with their partner once more.
Studies estimate that 24% of postpartum women in the United States experience pelvic floor dysfunction. (4) This brings with it a host of uncomfortable, embarrassing symptoms including leakage, constipation, pain during sex, and urinary urgency. Similarly, as we grow older, multiple pregnancies may leave us with significant tissue changes that are only made worse with age.
Intimacy and the Aging Process
Genitourinary syndrome of menopause can cause discomfort for older women. It’s caused by a sharp decrease in estrogen and can lead to a number of unpleasant symptoms. The most common are tissue changes in the vulva and vagina. Skin becomes thinner and more fragile, which is known as vaginal atrophy. Vaginal atrophy is underreported and underdiagnosed. Research indicates that 15% of the female population experiences symptoms of vaginal atrophy before menopause, whereas 40% to 57% of postmenopausal women have symptoms. (4)
What is Empower RF?
Empower RF is a multifunctional medical device that provides customized women’s wellness treatments. Targeted and safe, this customizable, multifaceted platform allows patients a wide variety of vaginal rejuvenation treatments. The following technologies are available as part of our women’s sexual health services.
- Morpheus8 V – Morpheus 8 V is a vaginal restoration treatment that can alleviate sensations of vaginal laxity, treat urinary incontinence, and help women regain their sexual confidence. In a series of simple 30 minute sessions, this combined radiofrequency and microneedling device can restore and repair damaged tissue. Its clinical-grade needles penetrate deep into the skin, promoting healthy production of collagen and elastin to support skin strength and suppleness.
- Forma-V – Forma-V is a muscle-strengthening procedure. Like Morpheus 8 V, Forma-V uses radiofrequency energy. It can restore pelvic floor function, improve muscle tone, increase lubrication, and address urinary incontinence. This noninvasive tissue remodeling procedure is a way for women to prioritize their vulvovaginal health without invasive surgery or medications.
- VTone – FDA cleared technology VTone is a gentle therapy on the Empower RF medical device platform. Designed to provide intravaginal electrical muscle stimulation (EMS), this ergonomically shaped device inserts into the body comfortably. In a series of short treatments, VTone can rehabilitate weakened pelvic floor muscles and address urinary incontinence without prolonged downtime.
Sexual Health Shots
The O-Shot is a treatment that uses platelet rich plasma (PRP) to rejuvenate the vagina. PRP treatments use a patient’s own blood by extracting it, treating it, then reintroducing it to the body. By spinning the blood in a centrifuge, it is separated into its component parts. Dr. Baker does so to harness the power of growth factors; molecules that stimulate cell generation. The O-Shot may be beneficial for patients with the following conditions:
- Stress Urinary Incontinence
- Sexual Dysfunction
- Chronic Vaginal Pain
- Vaginal Dryness
- Skin Inflammation/Discoloration (Lichen Planus)
Injected into the vaginal tissues directly, the O-Shot can provide relief for post-menopausal women, and may also increase arousal. The great thing about the treatment is that there’s no special preparation required, and no downtime!
The P-Shot, or priapus shot, is a sexual health treatment for men. Many men experience erectile dysfunction and less than satisfactory intercourse. In fact, almost 50% of men with coronary artery disease have significant erectile dysfunction. (6) Using the same science as the O-Shot for women, the P-Shot uses PRP to stimulate growth factors. These growth factors, when injected locally, can improve erectile function and lead to better intimate experiences. Men who may benefit from this treatment include older patients, those with cardiac disease, diabetes, or prostate cancer.
Sexual health services are available to most men and women who fit the specific criteria of the treatment. Men and women who are struggling with sexual function or satisfaction are encouraged to inquire about the procedures offered at The Retreat. The best way to find out if a procedure is right for you is to book a personal consultation with Dr. Baker.
Discuss your needs in privacy at a one-on-one consultation with Dr. Baker. We will ask you to fill out some forms and let us know some details about your sexual health, and your general health. You will then have the opportunity to tell Dr. Baker the issues you are having. He may perform a pelvic examination for a better understanding of the problems you are experiencing. Once this is complete, he will personalize a treatment plan for your needs.
Cost of Sexual Health Treatments in Rockwall, TX
The cost of your treatment depends on a few factors, including the specific difficulties you are facing, and whether you opt for one, or multiple sexual health treatments. Experienced cosmetic surgeon Dr. Joshua Baker can find the right treatment for you. To find out more, please call (469) 769-7101 or fill out this form.
What age can a woman get vaginal rejuvenation treatment?
There is no age limit for vaginal rejuvenation treatments, although older women who have experienced one or multiple vaginal births may benefit the most. A number of restorative therapies are available, including radiofrequency energy to address urinary incontinence and sexual dysfunction, as well as PRP shots that can improve a woman’s sexual health as they grow older.
Is the P-Shot like taking erectile dysfunction medication?
Although the aim is similar, PRP treatments for male sexual dysfunction are different from erectile dysfunction medications such as Viagra and Cialis. The P-Shot is designed for men who have difficulty maintaining an erection, and may benefit older patients with underlying health conditions such as cardiac disease the most.
Read more about the services Dr. Baker offers at The Retreat Wellness & Aesthetics on our blog.
- Kingsberg SA, Schaffir J, Faught BM, et al. Female Sexual Health: Barriers to Optimal Outcomes and a Roadmap for Improved Patient–Clinician Communications. Journal of Women’s Health. 2019;28(4):432-443. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6482896/
- World Health Organization. Defining sexual health. www.who.int. Published 2006. https://www.who.int/teams/sexual-and-reproductive-health-and-research/key-areas-of-work/sexual-health/defining-sexual-health
- Gutzeit O, Levy G, Lowenstein L. Postpartum Female Sexual Function: Risk Factors for Postpartum Sexual Dysfunction. Sexual Medicine. Published online December 2019. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7042171/
- Bleibel B, Nguyen H. Vaginal Atrophy. PubMed. Published 2020. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK559297/
- Memon HU, Handa VL. Vaginal Childbirth and Pelvic Floor Disorders. Women’s Health. 2013;9(3):265-277. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK562253/
- Sooriyamoorthy T, Leslie SW. Erectile Dysfunction. PubMed. Published 2021. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK562253/