Conveniently located to serve the areas of Rockwall, Plano, Heath and Dallas TX
Semaglutide is a new FDA-approved weight-loss medication. It is a once-weekly injection that works by mimicking the effects of GLP-1, a naturally occurring hormone in the body. As a popular topic on news and current affairs shows, semaglutide is currently in the spotlight, and may be recognizable to some patients under the brand name Ozempic, Wegovy, or Rybelsus.
Although Semaglutide is not a magic wand to achieve weight loss, it can help you to reach your weight goals. However, its effectiveness also relies on making lifestyle changes. To get the most out of this medication, it is essential to combine it with a healthy diet and regular physical activity.
At The Retreat Restorative & Aesthetics, we specialize in helping patients reach their goal weight safely and effectively. If you’re interested in learning more about semaglutide, schedule a personal consultation at our office in Rockwall, Texas. To book a one-on-one appointment with leading cosmetic surgeon Dr. Joshua Baker, call our office at (469) 769-7101. You can also contact us via our website. Just follow the on-screen prompts and one of our staff members will be in touch.
Find out more about restorative therapies and the Quantum range of cosmetic surgeries on Dr. Baker’s blog.
- 1 Managing Excess Weight
- 2 About Semaglutide
- 3 Benefits of Semaglutide
- 4 Candidates
- 5 Personal Consultation
- 6 How Do You Take Semaglutide?
- 7 Preparation
- 8 Cost of Semaglutide in Rockwall, TX
- 9 FAQ
- 9.1 What are the side-effects of Semaglutide?
- 9.2 How long does it take to see results from semaglutide?
- 9.3 Is Semaglutide the same as Ozempic?
- 9.4 Can semaglutide be taken with other medications?
- 9.5 How long does it take to see results from semaglutide?
- 9.6 Is there anything I should not eat while taking semaglutide?
- 10 References
Managing Excess Weight
Obesity is a health condition that can lead to numerous serious medical issues, including diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, and stroke. And unfortunately, it is a growing problem in the United States, with as many as 35% of the population within the diagnosis range for obesity. (1) The good news is that there are several ways to manage weight for obese patients, including diet, exercise, lifestyle changes, behavioral therapy, medications, and surgery.
If diet and exercise have not been successful in helping patients to lose weight, semaglutide may be a helpful way to experience safe, effective weight reduction.
If you’ve tried to lose weight in a healthy way but have struggled, a new medication could help.
Semaglutide is a prescription medication for type 2 diabetes which is also used to help adults lose weight. It works by helping to reduce hunger and cravings, making it easier to stick to a healthy diet and exercise plan. Specifically, it’s a glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) analog. GLP-1 plays an important role in appetite control, and semaglutide helps to activate its natural pathways. (2) Through this mechanism, it helps to reduce hunger, promote fullness, and decrease cravings.
How Does Semaglutide Work?
Semaglutide works by changing the way certain hormones work in the body. It increases the release of certain hormones, including insulin, glucagon, and GLP-1. This helps to regulate appetite, slow digestion, and reduce fat storage. Additionally, it reduces food cravings and helps to increase feelings of fullness.
Semaglutide is a safe and effective way to help people achieve their weight-loss goals. However, it is not meant to be used as a stand-alone treatment. Rather, it should be used in conjunction with a healthy diet and exercise.
Semaglutide is a proven treatment for weight-loss, as evidenced by its impressive results in testing. Studies have found that it is not only better at helping patients lose weight compared with other drugs, but it also has properties that protect the cardiovascular system. (3)
Benefits of Semaglutide
Here are some of the main benefits of Semaglutide:
- Weight Loss: Semaglutide has been proven to help people lose significant amounts of weight. Studies have shown that people taking it lost up to 12 percent of their body weight in just 28 weeks. (4)
- Improved Health: In addition to weight loss, semaglutide also helps with other important health markers such as improved blood pressure, cholesterol, and triglyceride levels. (5)
- Safe: Safety is always a concern when it comes to medications, and semaglutide has been proven to be safe and well-tolerated. The most common side effects are mild and include nausea, diarrhea, and constipation.
Semaglutide is a new way for patients to lose weight, but it isn’t suitable in all cases. The FDA has set specific eligibility requirements for those considering the medication. Patients must have a body mass index (BMI) greater than 27, or 25 and higher if they have at least one weight-related condition.
Additionally, patients must have tried other methods of weight loss such as dietary changes and exercise before being eligible to receive semaglutide.
At The Retreat, we specialize in helping patients achieve their weight-loss goals safely and effectively. If you’re interested in learning more about semaglutide, you can schedule a personal consultation at our office in Rockwall, Texas. During your initial appointment, we’ll discuss your medical history, as well as any lifestyle changes you may need to make in order to ensure your success. We’ll also provide you with more information about semaglutide and answer any questions you may have.
How Do You Take Semaglutide?
Semaglutide is a once-weekly injection typically taken on the same day each week. Your dosage may be adjusted over time based on how well the medication is working and your progress toward reaching your goals. Some common side effects include nausea, diarrhea, constipation, and vomiting.
Once your semaglutide prescription is approved, you’ll receive detailed preoperative instructions. Following these instructions diligently will ensure that you get the maximum benefit from this medication.
- Follow a calorie-controlled diet
- Increase physical activity to at least 150 minutes per week
- Follow up with Dr. Baker regularly
- Take semaglutide as prescribed
- Monitor your weight and body fat
Cost of Semaglutide in Rockwall, TX
At The Retreat, we offer semaglutide services to our patients who are struggling with their weight. As every treatment is personalized to the individual, the cost will vary according to your plan. To book your personal consultation with Dr. Baker at our Rockwell office, call (469) 769-7101 or fill out a form for more details.
What are the side-effects of Semaglutide?
While Semaglutide is generally safe and well-tolerated, there are some potential side effects associated with it. The most common side effects include nausea, diarrhea, constipation, and headache. These side effects are typically mild and only last for a short period of time. If these symptoms persist or become severe, contact your doctor immediately.
How long does it take to see results from semaglutide?
Most people see results within 12 weeks of starting Semaglutide, however, it can take up to 20 weeks to fully see the effects of the medication.
Is Semaglutide the same as Ozempic?
Ozempic is one of the brand names for semaglutide. It is also sold by different companies under the brand names Wegovy and Rybelsus.
Can semaglutide be taken with other medications?
Yes, it is possible to take semaglutide with other medications. However, it is important to check with Dr. Baker to make sure that the combination of drugs is safe and suitable for your individual needs.
How long does it take to see results from semaglutide?
It typically takes several weeks for semaglutide to start working. Most people experience the greatest weight loss within the first 3 months of treatment. It is important to follow your doctor’s instructions and stay consistent with your treatment plan to get the best results.
Is there anything I should not eat while taking semaglutide?
You should avoid eating high-calorie foods while taking semaglutide, as this could counteract its effects and hinder your weight loss. Additionally, you should limit or eliminate sugary drinks and processed foods from your diet.
- Fruh SM. Obesity: Risk factors, complications, and strategies for sustainable long-term weight management. Journal of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners. 2017;29(1):S3-S14. doi:https://doi.org/10.1002/2327-6924.12510
- Saraiva JFK, Franco D. Oral GLP-1 analogue: perspectives and impact on atherosclerosis in type 2 diabetic patients. Cardiovascular Diabetology. 2021;20(1). doi:https://doi.org/10.1186/s12933-021-01417-0
- Singh G, Krauthamer M, Bjalme-Evans M. Wegovy (semaglutide): a new weight loss drug for chronic weight management. Journal of Investigative Medicine. Published online October 27, 2021:jim-2021-001952. doi:https://doi.org/10.1136/jim-2021-001952
- Ghusn W, De la Rosa A, Sacoto D, et al. Weight Loss Outcomes Associated With Semaglutide Treatment for Patients With Overweight or Obesity. JAMA Network Open. 2022;5(9):e2231982. doi:https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2022.31982
- Information NC for B, Pike USNL of M 8600 R, MD B, Usa 20894. Results. Canadian Agency for Drugs and Technologies in Health; 2019. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK544016/